by Greshum chikoti

A fierce fire has gutted the house of one family in Mangochi, leaving a 7-year-old child seriously injured.

The tragedy befell Fred family on the morning of September 4, 2020 at Makawa Village.

According to the victim’s sister, Amina Fred, 23, the parents had gone out for business at Kela Fishing Dock, leaving the siblings asleep.

Later on, Amina also left the house for the dock to clean kitchen utensils leaving behind the victim and her 2-year-old sister.

The siblings started playing around with matches. Consequently, one of the lit sticks fell on a sofa sparking fire that razed the sitting room before spreading to one of the bedrooms.

Well-wishers rushed to rescue the two but the victim was stuck as he hid under the bed.

The boy was rushed to Mangochi District Hospital after sustaining severe burns on the stomach and thighs.

The burnt items include sofa set, six wooden chairs, ten curtains, assorted clothes and pairs of shoes, assorted kitchen utensils and four blankets.

Meanwhile the victim has been referred to Zomba General Hospital for further medical attention.

The police are appealing to parents and guardians not to leave their young children unattended since they need parental care, guidance and close supervision.

Sub Inspector Amina Tepani Daudi
Deputy PRO-Mangochi Police Station
Cell:0999 706 525

Share this article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *